For the rest of the world these months spark the beginning of summer, however in Barbados this is when we celebrate our Crop Over season. For many, it is our favourite time of the year filled with friends, culture and fun. Sometimes a little too much fun, enjoying the variety of alcoholic beverages that flow with the good times. We’ve been there. That heavy hangover the dreaded morning after – but who wants to feel bad after feeling so good? Exactly! So here are a few tips on preventing that slow start to the next day.
- Never underestimate the healing powers of water. Drinking lots of water during alcohol consumption, and having a couple more glasses right before you go to bed hydrates and replenishes the body, lowering the chance of any headaches sneaking up on you.
- Eating a few slices of cucumber at night also rehydrates you. The sugar, vitamins and electrolytes found in this veggie aid to lower the chances of a hangover or headaches as well. Another great tip for you; try pressing a slice of cucumber onto the roof of your mouth with your tongue for thirty to sixty seconds and this can eliminate bad alcoholic breath. This comes in especially handy if you have to lean in close for some intimate communication after a couple.
- One of the symptoms of this evil hangover is nausea, and a known remedy is ginger. Try having a strong cup of ginger tea to help settle your stomach. Adding some honey will combat the hangover even more. If the tea isn’t available the next best thing is a glass of ginger ale. We do recommend keeping some ginger tea stocked in the cupboard though. Plus it tastes so good!
- The potassium content in bananas helps to replenish the amount drained from the alcohol. Eating a few in the morning, or better yet, throwing a couple in a blender with some other fresh fruit to make a smoothie, is an even more delicious cure.
- One of the most enjoyable preventions of the hangover is to dance. Yes use that energy and confidence induced by the alcohol to groove the night away. Dancing enhances the body’s overall metabolic rate, which can clear alcohol out of the bloodstream faster. After all it is the Crop Over season, and with all the great music and good people around, celebrate with a nice drink and lively dancing.
Of course we advise you to drink responsibly but just in case you have two drinks too many, it is a good idea to keep this magazine close to your bed.